1. How much competition is there for licensing products?
2. Is there still room for the little guy to license well-known
3. How can I avoid expensive legal pitfalls?
4. Where are the best places to source intellectual property
that most people never consider?
5. Can you shed some light on different types of licensing?
6. Can you license territories or state by state?
7. How do I make an idea marketable for licensing and actually get
paid for it?
8. How do I prove marketability if I don’t have the license to a
9. How can a small company approach big companies and get a deal?
10. Can you land an IP deal without putting money down?
11. What are some websites that list different IP available?
12. Do universities list IP available online?
13. Do you need money upfront to license university IP?
14. What categories are are the hottest right now for licensing
15. What are some criteria to determine the potential of a
16. How do you approach someone to license a product?
17. What are some risks involved in intellectual property
18. Are there IP opportunities from all these bankruptcies that
are going on that one could take advantage of?
19. Are there IP deals available on a smaller level you can get in
20. How does the state place a value on a intellectual property in
a bankruptsy situation?
21. Where are the highest leverage points with intellectual
property and licensing?
22. Do I need a lawyers to do licensing?
23. How do I decide if I should sell my intellectual property out
right versus just licensing it?
24. If I don’t have any intellectual property to license, is there
still an opportunity for me to make money in licensing other people’s
25. Right now at this point with the recession still looming, what
kind of products are best to get licenses for?
26. How do you find the right person to talk with at any given
company to get your licensing deal negotiated?
27. Can you trademark a nickname to create a product around, sort
of like Gene Simmons did with the rock group KISS?
28. I want to sell my designs to a licensing distributor. For
example, someone who sells products to Target or Wal-Mart. Where do I
29. Is it important to have connections in the media or
entertainment industry that do licensing, or can someone do this
starting from scratch?
30. Without any connections whatsoever, is it doable by telephone
or is the personal meeting required to close the deal? I ask because I
live in Asia.
31. What unique approaches have you used to talk to authors about
licensing their products?
32. Can show me how to make money licensing intellectual property
of almost any kind?
33. How does licensing increase the overall value of a business
and make it attractive to potential investors?
34. How protected are you if you sell your IP to a large
35. When you said you may sell intellectual property to a large
company and they may sit on it. Is that some kind of strategy on
their part to maybe gain some kind of upper hand, or is it just that
they sometimes or slow moving and never do anything with the property
that you sell them?
36. Let’s say you’re doing the research say with universities, and
you find something that is a direct competitor and a threat to a large
company. You acquire the license and then go to the competitor and ask
them if they want to license it knowing that it’s a competitive
technology or intellectual property. Might the competitor buy from
37. How can someone license the rights to lyrics of a song?
38. Would it be necessary or advisable to form a separate
corporation or an LLC in order to promote and sell intellectual property
39. How do you set up territories when you license a product to
40. Are there recognized certifications, due diligence other than
ask around or ratings to identify a top IP attorney to work with, and
should they practice in state you do business in?
41. What is the process of protecting my intellectual property?
42. Can you license a procedure or a process to create or
manufacture an item or service?
43. If you could suggest one single licensing method to use if
someone wanted to create a large income stream and simultaneously create
viral marketing for their digital product, what method would you choose?
44. How much equity is intellectual property in a biotech or high
tech company worth to the investor?
45. What specific steps can I taker to find someone to negotiate
deals on my behalf?
46. What one skill would you identify as attributing to most of
your success as the licensing guy?
47. What are the three most important questions to consider when
purchasing a license?
48. Does intellectual property include software?
49. How do I set up a system to control the royalties?
50. How would I know if an agreement I’m offering is a fair one
that is industry standard and not unduly slanted to the other party’s
51. My concern in working with and licensing intellectual
property, especially from smaller unknown companies has to do with a
best process for identifying and determining who actually owns the
property. Is there a way short of spending thousands on legal fees to
know that this person really owns the intellectual property?
52. So many brick and mortar businesses are clueless when it comes
to marketing their businesses online. I know there has to be an
opportunity for licensing with them, but I’m stumped as to what and how,
where to begin.
53. What steps should a software designer take to protect their
54. How do you overcome a prospect’s reluctance to license
something they believe that they can create for themselves?
55. How long does it take to obtain a license?
56. What are some things that are not possible to license?
57. Is there a secret insider source for finding expired licensing
58. What would be a good example of a relatively simple licensing
scenario that the average Joe could arrange in just about any local,
small town economy to get into profit as quickly as possible.
59. There is a restaurant here that is just kicking butt called
Phil’s Barbeque. It started in a tiny little house, and they just
opened up their second restaurant. The line out the door, two hours, and
I don’t think they have a barbeque sauce that’s distributed locally here
in San Diego, but let’s say I negotiated a licensing deal to market
their barbeque sauce. What are you going to tell me as my
licensing coach, what am I looking for? Am I looking for exclusivity for
a certain time period where no one else can market the barbeque sauce?
60. Before I discuss it with them, would I do a non-disclosure
agreement so they don’t steal my idea and just market their own barbeque
61. Is it best to talk money before the terms of an ID deal?
62. What do you sign with them if you’re in an option and that’s a
"see what’s going to happen"? What do you sign with them to lock
in that nothing done at five percent? What kind of agreement?
63. Let’s say I acquire a license to an IP. My contract
gives me the ability to sell the license. Is it important to think about
selling out with a licensing deal when someone negotiates one? Let’s
say you build it, and you want to get out from under the license.
64. Where can I get sample agreements for licensing IP?
65. How do you handle highly regarded and trusted people who
privately show themselves as untrustworthy and unreliable well into the
66. What effect will globalization and cross border issues have
upon the effectiveness of your licensing program?
67. Is simply publishing my work online in print enough to protect
my property? What other steps really need to be taken?
68. Can you give some examples of how a regular person can profit from
intellectual property licensing?
69. What are the pros and cons to an exclusive versus a
non-exclusive agreement, and are there any basic rules for when you
should choose one over the other?
70. How can the owner of the intellectual property audit all those
transactions to be assured he or she is getting the proper credit and
percent on each sale.
71. What steps would a small book publisher take to license its
children’s animal or fantasy or super hero character?
72. I write response driven copy, and I’d like to participate in a
success of licensing campaigns I create for clients. In short, I
write all the different copy pieces and clients license that copy, if
successful, to similar businesses around the country. So, what
type of businesses would most benefit from the copy I create that can be
licensed out – successful real estate brokers, insurance agent, auto
dealers? What niches are hungry for good sales copy?
73. How can I use mobile phones as a new source of customers for
IP licensing in general or to make money with existing ones – selling,
training, and products. Where do you see the trend in this area?
74. As a small business marketing consultant, how can I leverage
my intellectual property in order to create a consistent stream of
passive income? I am a marketing consultant.
75. How could I bring licensing to bear as far as my e-book series
76. If I wanted to license a sales letter or a marketing piece,
how can I find out the specific results the marketing piece is doing,
and how would I be able to find out the creator of the marketing piece?
77. What are some ways that a person who wants to get into
licensing but doesn’t feel like doing the due diligence get through that
78. I’d like to train ex-Weight Watcher leaders how to have their
own diet coaching business. What kind of trouble would I run into
with this? I think they may mean because they were ex-Weight
Watchers they didn’t want to get any flack from Weight Watchers.
79. I have a software program I’ve developed, and I want to make
sure it’s protected. How do I do this in the shortest amount of
time and the least cost?
80. How do I shorten the timeline to getting an offer and creating
time urgency to close a licensing deal?
81. I do a joint venture concerning my SME. Would it be
prudent to use franchise or trademark license and copyright license
agreements to protect myself from infringements?
82. Let’s say you have a business opportunity idea that you create
an information product and you’re selling that or you want to license it
to other people. It’s still in essence a business opportunity, but how
do we get in the legal area where it’s a license and not a franchise?
83. I have a product and I’m thinking of licensing it to a group
of schools. I’ve created it, but I want to make money licensing it to
them. How do I go about it?
84. I’m a writer, product developer, and I have lots of product
concepts, but I live in Nigeria. I have no clue how I can get
these ideas licensed in the US, Britain and other countries successfully
while still living in my country. How can I do this?
85. Can one from Nigeria create a corporation in the United
86. I’m writing a book relating to law and professional standards
for a very specific aspect of law. There is a gap in the market
here. Is there an IP issue here? It’s not a specific product that I own,
as such, but an approach to a particular subject area. I don’t
obviously know much about IP, but would appreciate any pointers.
87. I have a methodology on how to use an outdoor experience to
build character and develop leadership. What are some of the steps
that I need to take that and convert it into a profit center?
88. We’re contemplating licensing using our name, logo and
marketing methods. We have a unique business method providing a
professional service in a coffee house. Any ideas?
89. How do I use the celebrity image or celebrity name on my
product and pay them a licensing fee for that?
90. I have legal ownership of a trademark that I think a bigger
named company could leverage, but which has zero public recognition. How
can I best license my trademark to them for a profit? Is licensing it to
them a good prelude to selling them the trademark?
91. My family and I created our own playing card game. We printed
up our own design and laminated the cards. Everyone who plays
absolutely loves it. How would I license this product to a major company
like Mattel? They’re the ones who do the game Uno.
92. I’m in negotiations with a company to license my product.
They supply the agreement, but there’s nothing in there about a royalty
advance. I don’t think it’s an oversight. They didn’t want
to pay a lawyer to draft up a fancy agreement. I have a lawyer and he’s
going to ask for a signing fee and an advance on royalties. I don’t want
to blow this deal. What do I do?
93. How can I get protection for an anti-aging herbal remedy?
94. What is the best way to approach a state CPA association about
licensing a book for small businesses on marketing and advertising?
95. I have an idea for an invention. I have a prototype made. The
product works very well. I want to patent it, but I don’t want to
manufacture or market it. I’m not sure who to trust or what is the
best way to sell my idea without giving it away.
96. Are provisional patents pretty inexpensive?
97. Having recently filed my patent, is it necessary that I have
my prospective licensee sign a non-disclosure agreement?
98. I’ve created the best short pocket billiard in billiard sports
ever, perfect for TV. I think I need an agent or negotiator or someone
such as that to navigate the next steps, unless I can do it via a
website. How could I find such an agent or negotiator because it’s easy
99. Chicago wants to be the nation’s greenest city. How
would you recommend working towards that goal by putting together
technology licensing deals? It seems like a worthy niche to go
100. How does licensing work for digital goods? What if I
have an idea to make an existing product better for instance? What are
the next steps?
101. Rand, what is your best strategy for being a little guy with
a great idea and who has gotten of his butt and done at least something
about it to show it’s interesting at least, to hold on those valuable
rights up front when a bigger player comes sniffing around you and your
102. I represent a company and am a shareholder which owns the
patent on a pollution cleaning solution containing a high content of
acids which has been proven to allow the remediation of just about any
property. I would very much like to talk to you about licensing this
technology. How could we get in touch with you?
103. Do you handle syndication for clients or just licensing?
A friend of mine has a talk radio show that he’d like to syndicate, and
I want to refer him to you if you could help him.
104. You mention you’re working on a very detailed event on how to
do this. Could you give the details of this event?
105. Who is licensing IP not for? Who is it for?